Full Stack Engineer
About The Folklore
The Folklore is the leading destination for global customers to discover and shop Africa and the diaspora's top luxury and emerging designer brands. We specialize in curating beautifully handmade and sustainable men's and women's fashion, accessories, beauty, and homeware products. The Folklore is a Techstars (Techstars Seattle 21’) and venture capital-backed company that has been featured by Vogue, Forbes, Fast Company, Bloomberg, and New York Magazine. The company has a history of partnering with top luxury corporations like Farfetch to further promote its efforts to increase the visibility, opportunities, and financial success of designers in Africa and the diaspora.
What you'll do
We are looking for an amazing full-stack engineer, based in Africa, to help build out our ambitious roadmap. Our front-end is built with React/Next and hosted on Vercel. You will work closely with a world-class front-end team to build new features and functionality. The back-end API is built in Ruby on Rails and deployed on ECS Fargate but there are also components written in Node running on Lambdas. Of course, we also use lots of AWS components and third-party services to build a feature-rich and scalable platform for our customers.
Some projects you may work on are multilingual generative AI product recommendations, integrating with international payments platforms, international shipping, and the most intuitive product management interface on the planet.
The engineering team is spread across the US and Africa.
We look forward to hearing from you!
- 3+ years experience with Typescript/React
- 3+ years experience with a modern server-side framework like Ruby on Rails, Django, Express
- Deep experience architecting and building on AWS and all its various services
- Deep experience building and documenting internal REST APIs
- Deep experience integrating with external APIs
- Experience as a team lead, or close to it
- Thrive on sometimes ambiguous feature definitions
- Early-stage startup experience
- Based in Africa
- Nice to have
- Built significantly large ecommerce applications, especially two-sided marketplaces
- Experience with Terraform
Your Life And Career At The Folklore
- Competitive salary
- Unlimited paid vacation
- Flexible work schedule
- Work remotely
- Employee discount
- Medical/Dental insurance
- Be part of a world-class startup team
- Join early with lots of career growth opportunity
- Report to the Head of Engineering